Productivity, Safety, and Regulation in Underground Coal Mining: Evidence from Disasters and Fatalities Gautam Gowrisankarany Charles He Eric A. Lutzz Je erey L. Burgessx May 19, 2019 Abstract Underground coal mining is a dangerous industry where the regulatory state may impose tradeo s between productivity and safety. We recover the marginal ...
· surface coal mining operations within that jurisdiction. SMCRA prohibits the mining of coal on federal and nonfederal lands without obtaining a mining permit. Regulatory requirements authorized under SMCRA apply to controlling surface mining impacts for both surface and underground coal mining operations.
Regulation and disasters in coal mining Since 1900, over 100,000 workers killed in coal mines Underground coal miners exposed to explosions, collapse, automotive accidents, etc. In response to dangers of coal mining, signiﬁcant regulatory state enacted by U.S. government Bureau of Mines, 1910 Federal Coal Mine Safety Act of 1952
Underground mining—The extraction of coal in an underground mine. Underground mining activities—Includes the following: (i) Surface operations incident to underground extraction of coal or in situ processing, such as construction, use, maintenance and reclamation of roads, aboveground repair areas, storage areas, processing areas, shipping ...
(2) At a non-coal mine, if flammable gas has been ignited, or flammable gas has been measured in the general body of air in a concentration that is equal to or greater than 0.25% by volume in the air being tested, the Director may order that a provision of these regulations that is otherwise applicable only to a coal mine be adopted by the ...
· Abstract. Underground coal mining is a dangerous industry where the regulatory state may impose tradeoffs between productivity and safety. We recover the marginal tradeoffs using disasters near a mine as shocks that increase future accident costs.
· Summary: These rules establish a series of practices for the protection of groundwater which are to be followed by any person who conducts coal mining operations subject to the provisions of W. Va. Code §22-12-1 et seq. and subject to regulation under W. Va. Code §22-3, and/or under W.Va. Code §22-11, as it relates to coal mining operations.
Regulation under the Work Health and Safety (Mines) Act 2013. ANTHONY ROBERTS, MP Minister for Resources and Energy Explanatory note The object of this Regulation is to protect the health and safety of workers at mines and other persons whose health and safety may be affected by mining operations. In particular, this Regulation makes provision with
Moreover, during this time period, underground coal mine productivity has declined, with regulations identi ed as a potential cause [Kuykendall and Qureshi, 2014, Tierney, 2016]. Figure 1 shows that productivity and accident rates for underground coal mines both declined over our sample period of 2000-14, while Figure 2
Inspects underground mine working conditions, equipment, airways, haulage ways, work practices, mining operations and all mining procedures for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. Writes reports on findings from investigations and inspections.
4.6(2) The employer of every underground coal mine must take reasonable measures to ensure that the competent person referred to in regulation 4.4(1) does not fire an explosive charge in an underground coal mine where the place where the explosive charge is to be fired is dry and dusty, unless— (a) a permitted explosive is used; and
The Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969 (Public Law 91-173), generally referred to as the Coal Act, was the most comprehensive and stringent Federal legislation governing the mining industry to date. Key components of the Coal Act include: Four annual inspections required at all underground coal mines; Two annual inspections required at all surface coal mine
· The Mines Regulation 2014.  (MR14) came into force on 6 April 2015. MR14 is the result of a major review of health and safety mining legislation by HSE involving significant input from the mining sector. One of the key aims of the review has been to remove the unnecessary regulatory burden on business through clarification and simplification.
CBM wells increasingly intersect underground coal mines. Mining into a pressurized well may result in serious injury. District Manager approval is required in the mine''s ventilation plan before mining within a specified barrier around CBM wells under MSHA''s Program Information Bulletin (PIB) …
Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA) P.L. 95-87, Enacted August 3, 1977 "An Act to provide for the cooperation between the Secretary of the Interior and the States with respect to the regulation of surface coal mining operations, and the acquisition and reclamation of abandoned mines, and for other purposes."
The air quality standards that currently apply in underground coal mines are the 1972 TLV''s, incorporated by reference in MSHA regulations at §75.322. If any of the limits for diesel exhaust gases are modified, MSHA would expect to undertake rulemaking to incorporate those changes into §70.1900 .
Mining law - Wikipedia
The Coal Section is responsible for ensuring the reclamation of land affected by surface and underground mining activity and regulation of development of coal mines in order to maintain the integrity of Montana''s natural resources.
Coal Mining History. Coal mining in Ohio began around 1800 and during its first 150 years, was an unregulated industry. Underground coal mining. Until the time of World War I, coal mining in Ohio was conducted almost exclusively underground and largely by manual labor.
Mining Regulations and Statutes. The mining divisions are guided by statutes, regulations, reclamation advisory memorandums and technical reclamation memorandums in the implementation of their regulatory programs. The Cabinet''s Department for Natural Resources is the agency with front-line responsibility for carrying out the statutes and the ...
THE COAL MINES REGULATIONS, 1957 S.R.O.3419 dated the 24th October, 1957 – In exercise of the powers conferred by section 57 of the Mines Act, 1952 (35 of 1952) and in supersession of the Indian Coal Mines Regulations, 1926, the Central Government hereby makes the following Regulations, the
· EPA promulgated the Coal Mining Effluent Guidelines and Standards ( 40 CFR Part 434) in 1975, and amended the regulation in 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985 and 2002. The regulation covers wastewater discharges from mine drainage, coal storage facilities, and coal preparation plants.
Chapter 1: Oklahoma Mining Commission. Chapter 2: Rules of Practice and Procedure for the Coal Reclamation Act of 1979. Chapter 3: Non-Coal Rules of Practice and Procedure. Chapter 10: Non-Coal Rules and Regulations. Chapter 15: Underground Coal and Asphalt
Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995 ... Constitution — mine manager''s and underground supervisor''s certificates 12 2.9. Constitution — quarry manager''s certificate 12 2.10. Constitution — underground coal mine certificates 13 2.11. Constitution — winding engine driver''s certificate 13 2.12. Procedure if body fails to ...
Mine Safety and Training. The Coal Mining Act (225 ILCS 705) governs the working conditions and atmospheres in the state''s underground and surface mines to ensure the health and safety of thousands of workers in the mining industry. Illinois Administrative Rules and Regulations. 62 Ill. Adm. Code 100-180 (Coal Mining Act)/.
PART 21. SPECIAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS - CONCURRENT SURFACE AND UNDERGROUND MINING (HISTORY OF 19.8.21 NMAC: Pre-NMAC History: The material in Part 21 was derived from that previously filed with the State Records Center and Archives under: SB 73-1 Regulations of the State of New Mexico Coal Surfacemining Commission, filed 1-10-73 and its amendment filed 8-4-76 SB 78-1 (Rule 78-1) Regulations ...
· High-voltage continuous mining machines have been used to produce coal in underground coal mines since 1997. Underground coal mine operators that use high-voltage continuous mining machines are currently following most of the provisions of the final rule through conditions set forth in their granted Petitions for Modification (PFMs).
It was drafted based on the national model WHS Regulations for mining and the additional tri-state mining provisions agreed by NSW, Queensland and Western Australia. The new legislation replaced the Coal Mine Health and Safety Act 2002, Coal Mine Health and Safety Regulation 2006, Mine Health and Safety Act 2004 and Mine Health and Safety ...
Regulations Governing the Use of Diesel-Powered Equipment in Underground Coal Mines - ia Administrative Code - Title 4 - Agency 25 - Chapter 90 Regulations Governing Vertical Ventilation Holes and Mining Near Gas and Oil Wells - (PDF)
PART 75 - MANDATORY SAFETY STANDARDS - UNDERGROUND COAL MINES; 30 CFR Part 75 - MANDATORY SAFETY STANDARDS - UNDERGROUND COAL MINES . ... appear in Title III of the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969. The following state regulations pages link to this page. Missouri. 11 CSR 40-7.010 - 11 CSR 40-7.010 - Blasting—Licensing ...